Thank you Malt-O-Meal for sponsoring this post. Head to the Malt-O-Meal cereal Facebook page to learn more about a chance to win one of 60 $500 gifts, personalized just for you!!
I cannot believe it’s been 3 months since the shelter in place went into effect. I quickly learned that being a mom in a pandemic was going to look a lot different than the mom I was before. I was in no way prepared to become a work from home mom, home school teacher to two kids while chasing a toddler in between. The first 2 weeks were brutal as I attempted to juggle it all. There were just too many tasks and too little time to do them. It was time to prioritize and let things go! I know we try to do it all but mama we don’t have to. Here are 5 changes I made to make life more manageable and pleasant for us all.
- 1. Ditch the idea that you need to cook dinner every night. This was a big one. I tried prepping and cooking in between work calls and helping the kids with schoolwork. Cereal can be part of a perfectly acceptable meal whether for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack, and Malt-O-Meal cereal is the perfect choice for savvy moms as it’s less spendy and super tasty. They have an awesome variety that the kids love. You can find them HERE! The best part is the older kids can make their own cereal and I don’t even have to move.
2. Stop trying to do everything yourself and delegate. I was notorious for trying to do it all because I wanted things done “right.” I started giving the older children a to-do list and having them entertain the little one while I worked on other things. This not only kept them occupied but allowed me to tackle more things throughout the day.
3. Screen Time is okay. A few years ago we eliminated screen time during the weekdays. I had to realize the kids were also living through and feeling the effects of the pandemic. I implemented a schedule to allow screen time throughout the day.
4. An untidy house is not the end of the world. Ha! With 3 kids at home all day, things will get messy. I was killing myself to keep up with the housework. I can tell you it was hard to walk past pillows on the floor and dishes in the sink. I had the kids start picking up after themselves. If it was too late or I felt burnt out I saved certain chores for the next day.
5. Stop feeling guilty for taking time out for yourself. Downtime is needed. When it’s all said and done you are good to no one if you are stressed out. Once I unplug from work I take an hour or so to just lay down, take a walk, or just scroll my phone. Whatever you do with that time, make sure it is just you doing what you choose to do.
I know that it’s so tough right now for many. We already wear so many hats as mothers and then to throw a pandemic in the mix. To honor all of the important and extra work moms across the country are doing right now and to give them something to look forward to, Malt-O-Meal is giving away $30,000 worth of personalized gifts to moms (two $500 gifts each day for 30 days), plus Malt-O-Meal cereal for each winner’s pantry, via a social contest on the brand’s Facebook page, now through June 25. Check it out here!